The Local Authorities Pension Fund (LAPFUND) has announced plans to begin the construction of a KSh. 3.5 billion in Kisumu’s Makasembo Estate to replace the old buildings.
LAPDUND has given residents of the estate up to February 28th to vacate the property in readiness for construction. The fund wants to put up 1,700 housing units on the 10-acre piece of land following the government’s affordable housing agenda.
The residents (128 in total), have each been given KSh. 96,000 to facilitate them in vacating the promises since their tenancy has been terminated.
LAPFUND chief executive David Koross said on completion, the first priority will be given to the residents.
The development will comprise of one, two and three bedroomed houses with prices ranging from KSh 1.6 million to KSh 2.5 million. Mr Koros said groundbreaking is scheduled for March 1.
Speaking on behalf of Makasembo residents, the estate chairman Rashid Ondu said residents have accepted the terms and wish developments to commence to give Makasembo the facelift it deserves.
There have been heated debates and tension on land matters in the lakeside city following claims of land grabbing since last year.
On January 19th, the Country Government of Kisumu published a letter of withdrawal following an earlier list showing a list of grabbed land parcels within the county.
“My office can neither accept nor deny the list at the moment as we have no knowledge whatsoever of its point of origin,” says the notice by City Manager Abala M. Wanga.
He said his office considers the land grabbers list withdrawn until its genuineness is established and asked the general public to wait for official communication about the right list.