Windfarm

American multinational General Electric (GE) has completed works on the 100MW Kipeto wind farm located at Esilanke area of Ngong Hills in Kajiado County.

The energy project initiated by Kipeto Energy Consortium is due for launch before the end of the year following the complete installation of all 60 wind power turbine generators designed for the project.

The wind farm is set to supply 40,000 Kenyan households with clean energy following a 20-year power-purchase agreement signed with the Kenya Power and Lighting Company (KPLC).

Signed off in December 2018, the project was carried out by two subsidiaries of the American conglomerate General Electric.

GE Renewable Energy based in Paris which supplied and installed the wind turbines and GE Energy Financial Services (GE EFS), based in Connecticut in the United States which oversaw financial mobilization for the project.

Kipeto Energy Consortium is co-owned by British fund Actis (88%) and Nairobi based Craftskills Energy International which holds the remaining 12% stake.

US Government’s development finance institution Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC) provided KES 25.2 billion of the project’s funding while Actis and Craftskills Wind Energy International (CWEIL) provided KES 9.5 billion worth of funding for the project.

The Kipeto Wind Power project now becomes the second-largest wind power project in the country after the Turkana Wind Power Project.

Read; Energy firm reaches close on 100MW Kipeto wind power project

Featured Properties

Pristine 4-Bedroom Townhouse in Runda
Asking Price KSh 38,000,000
Beds:   4 Baths:   4
5-Bedroom house for sale/rent in Lavington
Asking Price KSh 68,000,000
Beds:   5 Baths:   5
List of Land Available for Sale
Asking Price KSh 21,000,000